Thursday, November 15, 2007

If It Aint Broke (Too Bad) Don't Fix It

I had the pleasure of flying Southwest yesterday. I am a little miffed about their new boarding policy I must admit. When Southwest started (yes I remember) it couldn’t have been much easier as I recall but now things have changed.

I don’t remember what year Southwest started but it was in the early 70s I think. The first time I flew on Southwest I was on one of the first Southwest flights from Amarillo to Dallas. I remember walking up to the gate, paying my money, the person that sold me the ticket put my money in a cash register and printed a receipt and that was my boarding pass.

Then we all remember the colored boarding cards. If you got to the airport early you got the best boarding assignments. When the internet was well established then the in crowd went on line early and the higher tech you were the quicker you boarded. There were 3 lines, everyone crowded in and fought for the best seats. The airline was known as the cattle car or something like that. It used to be cheaper before the airlines started price fixing. (I can’t believe I said that)

Now someone at Southwest decided to fix something that was not broken (too bad). Now you still go online if you don't want to board last, but you get a group and a number. When I got to the airport (my boarding # was A33) yesterday there were electronic boards, high tech poles sticking up everywhere and the idea is that you don’t have to push your way in line, you can sit in your chair until your little sub group is called. Stay with me here, I was supposed to line up in the second A group where the 33 number sub section was. I was now a little clearer on why the electronic sign said A 1-30 for one line and A 31-60 in the other. Now I got why the poles had numbers on them. Like my place was between the first two poles in the line that said A 31-60. Now I get it but I don’t really get it, what is the point? Everyone still crowded in the different lines, I couldn’t get to my spot unless I cut through the line, (I’m not going to try that) the gate attendant didn’t care what your sub group number was and I still felt like I used too when I didn’t have to figure out so much.

I understand now Southwest is going to let you board even earlier if you pay more. Wow a no class first class. My guess seat assignments will be a Southwest revelation within 12 months. For me I think I will try to drive or stay home. But…..I still got my free nuts!!! Stale but free!!!

More to come

Lonny

1 comment:

Lonny Coffey said...

This is a test by Lonny