Saturday, November 17, 2007

HE DIDN'T HAVE TO DO IT

I wish the very best to you and yours on this Sunday morning. I think the group Alabama sang a song many years back that had a line in it that went, “Oh oh oh, I believe there are angels among us, sent down to us from heaven above”. I love that song!

I want to tell you about a young man who chose to help a family in need. It was Oct. 31, 2007 when he was watching TV and he recognized the name of a family who had lost their home to fire. Rather than simply listening and then going back to whatever he was doing he choose to send out an e-mail to his friends and family to get donations of furniture, food, clothing and whatever else might be available to help out. I got the e-mail and didn’t think a lot about it at the time. After all tragedy happens every day and we can do little about it.

If that wasn’t enough he knew of a remarkably generous family who he talked too who donated a home for the displaced family to live in for a few months till they could relocate. Yes you heard correctly, this young man arranged for a free house for the family.

What is even more remarkable to me is that this young man is in an industry that is having hard times and he does not have a lot of extra money to be spending but he spent a lot of time over the next few days driving around to pick up donations and taking them to the family. He could have simply done nothing and saved his money.

As he was helping he was seeing few pats on the back and asking for none. He worked for the purpose of helping this family. Diligently and without purpose except to do something for someone he barely knew because they needed the help.

No matter how we give thanks on this Sunday we should give thanks that there are people like him who care about us and will rise to an occasion to help. I should be more like my friend but one thing for sure is that I am comforted knowing that he will be there for me if I need him.

Thanks Josh!

More to come

Lonny

No comments: