Thursday, December 13, 2007

RUDY AND MITT ON IMMIGRATION

In one of the last Presidential Debates, Rudy G. and Mitt R. got into a tiff over Mitt hiring illegal aliens to work in his yard. Rudy described it as a palatial mansion or something like that. I am not sure which debate was the last one or which ones I have missed lately. For some reason there seem to be plenty of debates that are not ready for prime time so to speak. The one I was watching was on CNN and was billed as a You Tube Debate, (or something like that). I may have been the only person watching that particular one.

That brings up an initial question for me: Why would any intelligent Republican candidate show up at CNN to participate in a debate where someone could get on You Tube (whatever that is) and pose a question to them. One guy actually was asking some idiotic question on something and had a rebel flag in the background. Our candidates were trying to respond to this guy in an intelligent way. Hopefully a lesson was learned, not to show up to a liberal TV network whose goal (probably) was to make the candidates look less than Presidential if not totally ridiculous.

Anyway back to the point of today’s message. What Rudy was doing was trying to make Mitt responsible for the continuing immigration problem by pointing out that it was his fault somehow that the guys working in his yard were illegal aliens and that he should have done something about it. Mitt was taken aback with the attack and really looked a little embarrassed that Rudy had got him. Mitt responded by saying; it really was not the American way or the responsibility of a home owner to go out into the yard and ask to see documentation that would prove a contractors workers were or were not legal. I know on the days I have been at my home and the men who do my yard have been there I have had no real desire to check them out so to speak. Unless I had discussed the issue with my yard contractor (who assures me his guys are legal and pay taxes) my assumption would have been those workers were probably not here legally. They looked like illegal aliens would look, and they were doing a job that would require a lower paid, harder working laborer which again seems to type cast them into what I think would point to an illegal worker.

I agree it is absolutely not my job to enforce the law of the land and it seems that the authorities don’t either. I have an interesting twist to all this for tomorrow.

More to come

Lonny

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't this issue strictly about enforcing existing laws? What a waste of time and money to create new laws that will not be enforced. Enforce the law. If someone is here illegally, deport them and any kids they have. Accountability for one's actions has disappeared due to political cowardice.